Firefighters rescue mischievous pyromaniac tortoises using tiny oxygen masks
Firefighters have rescued two shell-shocked tortoises from a blaze in their owners’ home after the reptiles set their enclosure alight.
The tortoises knocked a small wooden shelter in their vivarium onto a heat lamp causing the the structure to burst into flames.
Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service dispatched a team of firefighters to a home in Eastleigh, Hampshire, to respond to the “freak accident”.
The crews took the heat lamp out of the vivarium, put out the fire and gave the tortoises, which were suffering from smoke inhalation, oxygen therapy, using “really tiny” masks made specifically for pets, a spokesman for the rescue service said.
The oxygen masks come in several sizes and can be used to treat animals as large as a dog or as small as a rat.
The spokesman said the tortoises had “fully recovered” from the fire.
No humans sustained injuries in the blaze, which was confined to the tortoises’ enclosure.